Although it is not clear exactly what to expect from an overdose on Ultresa, taking too much of this drug over an extended period of time may lead to problems like high uric acid levels and colon strictures. Seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have overdosed on this medication. Treatment may include close monitoring, "pumping the stomach," or administering activated charcoal.
Ultresa® (pancrelipase) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of pancreatic enzyme deficiencies (such as the type of deficiency that occurs with cystic fibrosis), also known as exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. As with any medicine, it is possible to overdose on Ultresa.
The specific effects of an overdose would vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Ultresa dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
At this time, it is not exactly known what to expect from a one-time Ultresa overdose. However, chronic exposure to high doses of the drug over a length of time is associated with a higher risk for certain Ultresa side effects, particularly fibrosing colonopathy (and associated colon strictures) and high uric acid levels (which can cause gout and kidney problems).
If the overdose was recent, it is possible that your healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for an Ultresa overdose may include:
- Close monitoring for digestive problems
- Monitoring of uric acid levels in the blood and/or urine.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much Ultresa.