Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Ultresa include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an extended-release capsule. It is usually taken by mouth with each meal and snack.
- For small children (or other individuals unable to swallow capsules), open the capsules and sprinkle the contents on a cold, slightly acidic food (such as applesauce or yogurt). Swallow (without chewing) the applesauce or yogurt completely and immediately. Follow with water or juice.
- Do not crush or chew the capsules, as this will destroy the extended-release properties of the capsules and may cause mouth irritation.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Your symptoms will return if you stop taking this medication.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.