Tobi Podhaler Overdose
If you believe you have used too much Tobi Podhaler (tobramycin inhalation powder), seek immediate medical treatment. Overdosing on this drug may result in hearing loss, respiratory failure, and paralysis. The specific effects depend on how much was taken and whether it was combined with other drugs. If an overdose occurs, you will need to be monitored closely and treated for any complications that result.
Tobi® Podhaler™ (tobramycin inhalation powder) is a prescription antibiotic used in the treatment of cystic fibrosis. As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on Tobi Podhaler. The specific effects would likely vary, however, depending on a number of factors, including the Tobi Podhaler dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
There have been no reported cases of a Tobi Podhaler overdose. Therefore, it is not entirely clear what to expect if this occurs.
Tobi Podhaler contains tobramycin, an aminoglycoside antibiotic. There have been reports of overdoses occurring with injectable tobramycin. Based on these reports, possible symptoms of an overdose with Tobi Podhaler could include:
- Ringing in the ears
- Hearing loss, especially loss of high-tone hearing
- Failure of the lungs to function properly (respiratory failure)
- A whirling or spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Muscle weakness and paralysis.
However, it is important to note that Tobi Podhaler is an inhaled medicine, and only a small amount of the drug reaches the bloodstream with normal use. Therefore, an overdose is not likely to cause dangerous symptoms, especially if the amount inhaled is small.
Swallowing Tobi Podhaler capsules by mouth is also not likely to cause serious problems. This is because tobramycin is not well absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract into the body. This is also why the medication will not work to treat your infection if you swallow the capsules.