Cystic Fibrosis Home > Zenpep
If you are deficient in pancreatic enzymes, your healthcare provider may prescribe Zenpep. This drug is specifically designed to help increase pancreatic enzymes in people who have conditions like cystic fibrosis or certain other health issues. It comes as an extended-release capsule that is taken with each meal. Headaches, bruising, and coughing are some of the possible side effects.
- This medication comes in the form of an extended-release capsule. It is usually taken by mouth with each meal or before each feeding for an infant.
- For infants, the capsules should be opened, and the contents poured directly into the mouth or onto a small amount of applesauce or commercially-prepared pear or banana baby food. Follow immediately with formula or breastfeeding.
- For small children, or other individuals unable to swallow capsules, open the capsules and sprinkle the contents on a room-temperature, slightly acidic food, such as applesauce. Swallow (without chewing) the applesauce completely and immediately. Follow with water or juice.
- Do not crush or chew the capsules, as this will destroy the extended-release properties of the capsules and may cause mouth irritation.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Your symptoms will return if you stop taking this medication.