Cystic Fibrosis Home > Pertzye Overdose
Although it is not clear exactly what to expect from an overdose on Pertzye, taking too much of this drug over an extended period of time may lead to problems like high uric acid levels and colon strictures. Seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have overdosed on this drug. Treatment may include close monitoring, "pumping the stomach," or administering activated charcoal.
Pertzye® (pancrelipase) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, such as the type of pancreatic enzyme deficiency that occurs with cystic fibrosis. As with any medicine, it is possible to overdose on Pertzye. The specific effects of an overdose could vary, however, depending on a number of factors, such as the Pertzye dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
At this time, it is not exactly known what to expect from a one-time overdose with Pertzye. However, chronic exposure to high doses of the drug is associated with a higher risk for certain Pertzye side effects, particularly fibrosing colonopathy and associated colon strictures and high uric acid levels, which can cause gout and kidney problems.
If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for someone who takes too much Pertzye may include:
- Close monitoring for digestive problems
- Monitoring of uric acid levels in the blood and/or urine.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have overdosed on Pertzye.