Your dosage of Kalydeco will be determined based on how old you are, how well your liver is functioning, other medications you are taking, and various other factors. This cystic fibrosis treatment comes as tablets that can be taken once or twice a day or twice a week. Take your dose with a high-fat meal to help increase absorption of the medication.
An Introduction to Dosing With KalydecoThe dose of Kalydeco™ (ivacaftor) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on several factors, including:
- Your age
- Your liver function
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
What Is the Recommended Kalydeco Dosage for Cystic Fibrosis?The recommended daily Kalydeco dose for most people age 6 and older is 150 mg twice daily (every 12 hours) with a high-fat meal. For people with moderate liver disease, a reduced dosage of Kalydeco 150 mg once daily is recommended. For people with severe kidney disease, this medicine should be used with caution and at reduced dosages (150 mg once daily or perhaps less frequently).
Certain medications known as CYP 3A4 inhibitors slow down the breakdown (metabolism) of Kalydeco. For people taking strong CYP 3A4 inhibitors, the recommended Kalydeco dosage is 150 mg twice a week. For people taking moderate CYP 3A4 inhibitors, the recommended amount is 150 mg once daily. Many different medications inhibit CYP 3A4 (see Kalydeco Drug Interactions for more information).
General Information on Taking KalydecoSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Kalydeco include the following:
- Kalydeco comes in tablet form. Depending on a number of factors, it is taken by mouth once a day, twice a day, or twice a week.
- For people taking this medication twice daily, take the doses about 12 hours apart. For people taking it once a day, make sure to take it at the same time each day.
- Make sure to take Kalydeco with a high-fat meal. This should not be a problem for most people, as a high-fat diet is usually recommended for people with cystic fibrosis. This helps increase the absorption of the drug.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Kalydeco dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.