Seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you or someone else may have overdosed on Creon (pancrelipase). Although it is not exactly known what to expect if too much of the drug is taken, it may cause a dangerous condition called fibrosing colopathy and high uric acid levels. Treatment for an overdose may include administering activated charcoal, pumping the stomach, and providing supportive care.
Creon® (pancrelipase) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of pancreatic enzyme deficiencies. As with most medicines, it is possible to take too much Creon.
The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Creon dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
At this time, it is not exactly known what to expect from a one-time overdose with Creon. However, chronic exposure to high doses of the drug are associated with a higher risk for certain Creon side effects, particularly fibrosing colonopathy (and associated colon strictures) and high uric acid levels, which can cause gout and kidney problems.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive care for a Creon overdose may include:
- Close monitoring for digestive problems
- Monitoring of uric acid levels in the blood and/or urine.
Seek immediate medical attention if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much Creon.