Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Creon include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of an extended-release capsule. It is usually taken by mouth with each meal or before each feeding for an infant.
- For infants, the capsules should be opened and the contents poured directly into the mouth or onto a small amount of applesauce or commercially prepared pear or banana baby food. Follow immediately with formula or breastfeeding.
- For small children or other individuals unable to swallow capsules, open the capsules and sprinkle the contents on room-temperature, slightly acidic food, such as applesauce. Swallow (without chewing) the applesauce completely and immediately. Follow with water or juice.
- Do not crush or chew the capsules, as this will destroy the extended-release properties of the capsules and may cause mouth irritation.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Your symptoms will return if you stop taking Creon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Creon, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.