Cayston has been studied in a clinical trial that included people with cystic fibrosis who had the bacteria P. aeruginosa in their lungs. People in the study were randomly assigned to receive either Cayston or a placebo (a fake medicine with no active ingredients).
In this study, Cayston was shown to improve lung function more so than the placebo. In addition, people given Cayston reported a greater improvement in their respiratory symptoms after 28 days of treatment than people given the placebo. This included improvements in coughing, wheezing, and mucus production. Children treated with Cayston had a greater improvement in respiratory symptoms than adults treated with the medication.
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Cayston include the following:
- This medication comes as a powder that is mixed with liquid and inhaled by mouth using a nebulizer. It is usually taken three times a day.
- Your healthcare provider will show you how to use the nebulizer that is needed to take this medication. You should also receive written instructions. Make sure to ask questions if you are unsure about anything.
- You will need to dilute Cayston immediately prior to each dose using the 1 mL of sterile diluent that comes with your prescription.
- Try to take your Cayston doses at about the same times each day, at least four hours apart.
- It will take two to three minutes to completely inhale each dose.
- If you are using other inhaled medicines, use them first and take your dose of Cayston last.
- Your healthcare provider may prescribe a bronchodilator medicine to take prior to each dose. He or she will instruct you about how and when to use the bronchodilator.
- Do not use this medicine if it is cloudy or contains particles.
- For Cayston to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow the instructions for using this medication.