Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Cayston include the following:
- This medication comes as a powder that is mixed with liquid and inhaled by mouth using a nebulizer. It is usually taken three times a day.
- Your healthcare provider will show you how to use the nebulizer that is needed to take this medication. You should also receive written instructions. Make sure to ask questions if you are unsure about anything.
- You will need to dilute Cayston immediately prior to each dose using the 1 mL of sterile diluent that comes with your prescription.
- Try to take your Cayston dosages at about the same time each day, at least four hours apart.
- It will take two to three minutes to completely inhale each dose.
- If you are using other inhaled medicines, use them first and take Cayston last.
- Your healthcare provider may prescribe a bronchodilator medicine to take prior to each dose of Cayston. He or she will instruct you about how and when to use the bronchodilator.
- Do not use this medicine if it is cloudy or contains particles.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow the instructions for using it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Cayston dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.